Montispectus - Overnight accommodation on Blaauwberg Hill
The name Montispectus derives from the Bloubergstrand dwarf burrowing skink (Scelotes montispectus).
The self-catering unit named Montispectus provides overnight accommodation on Blaauwberg Hill. It is situated within the BBNR and has spectacular views down fynbos slopes, across the city, to seven kilometres of rocky and sandy coastline and the ocean and beyond. The reserve presents itself as one of the few viewpoints in the world from where you can see two proclaimed world heritage sites, namely Table Mountain and Robben Island.
The unit sleeps 4 guests in an open plan bedroom with two single beds, a double bunk bed and a pine cupboard and doors that lead onto the deck. Interesting features of the unit are the photovoltaic panels that provide light, the outdoor shower, as well as the self-composting toilet providing for a unique experience.
The lounge, dining room and kitchenette area opens up on to a deck and allows a cool breeze to circulate while you enjoy the views. The kitchen area has a sink, gas fridge/freezer, gas stove, pots and pans, kettle and cutlery and crockery for 4 guests. A Weber braai is available. Central parking is a few metres from the unit on Blaauwberg Hill, with a gravel path that leads to the unit.
There is no electricity. The light provided by the photovoltaic panels, provides soft light between 16:00 and 09:00. Potable water feeds the unit and outdoor bathroom. A gas fridge/freezer, gas stove and gas geyser is provided. The unit is self-catering with guests having to maintain and clean the unit for the duration of their stay.
Linen is provided. Guests are required to bring their own towels and soap – the BBNR supports the use of biodegradable products.
- Any reservation within a weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) shall be for a minimum of two nights stay, e.g. a booking for a Friday night shall include a Saturday night. The Daily Entry Fee is applicable to bookings made for overnight accommodation.
- Bookings are processed through the City of Cape Town's property rental system, and invoices must be issued from the City's rates accounts. Payments will only be accepted if the rental contract number is used as the payment reference.
- To avoid disappointment, application forms need to be received well in advance and no later than 48 hours spanning two working days prior to your reservation date. Reservations cannot be processed in less than 2 working days.
- Customers with a valid booking confirmation need to collect the accommodation keys from the Eerste Steen Resort Cash Office during working hours (08:00 - 16:00) on the day of the booking, and also return the keys to the same Cash Office on departure.
- The gravel access road to the hill is uneven with steep inclines in certain areas. High clearance vehicles are recommended.
Booking your accommodation in Montispectus
- Per night (1-2 persons): R866 Peak Season (1 September to 30 April)
- Per night (1-2 persons): R621 Off-peak (1 May to 31 August)
- Additional persons: R148 each (Max. 4 persons in unit)
Daily conservation fee: R20 (adult 18+); R15 Seniors (age 60+); R15 (children 3-17 years); FoBCA members free (membership proof required); R28 per vehicle.